Doctoral Students’ Section ─ for doctoral students, by doctoral students!
The Doctoral Student’s Section (DSS) is a community for all doctoral students at the University of Oulu. It is run for doctoral students by doctoral students.
The DSS is the official voice of the doctoral students, promoting high quality doctoral studies and inspiring academic experiences. It also offers opportunities for networking with peers. All doctoral students are in – no sign-up is needed!
The DSS meetings are the hub of communication between the doctoral students and UniOGS. The section meets monthly to share news from UniOGS and to discuss the wishes, hopes and concerns of doctoral students. Meetings are open for everyone ─ all doctoral students have a say and a vote. The DSS representatives in UniOGS committees make sure that the concerns and ideas of doctoral students are passed on.
The DSS chair and representatives are selected through an open call. They are the official advocates for doctoral students in the University of Oulu. Students can apply for positions in the Doctoral Training Committees of Human Sciences, Technology & Natural Sciences or Health & Biosciences. The representatives are active members of the DSS, participating to the meetings of the section and staying connected to fellow PhD students. The DSS chair also represents doctoral students in the UniOGS management group.
How to stay tuned and get involved?
- Follow our webpage and see what’s up: facebook.com/ouludoctoralstudentssection
- Join the DSS e-mailing list and Facebook group for news about our events and meetings:
- Mailing list: http://lists.oulu.fi/mailman/listinfo/doctoralstudents
- Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/366950416739175/
- Send us your concerns and ideas via this form so we can take action!
- Join the DSS monthly meetings and other events – everyone is welcome!
- Apply for a DSS position to become an official DSS representative in UniOGS committees
The DSS operates under the Student Union of the University of Oulu (OYY), linking it to the whole community of students at the university. Being a member of the Student Union is voluntary but membership brings benefits like great deals, free legal counsel and access to the union’s expert secretariat. The DSS recommends all doctoral students to join the Student Union. Read more!
Chair Jaana Isohätälä (e-mail: oulu.fi)